Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Loves Monsters


A few days ago we were reading and comparing two books both about Greek mythology. In the cover of one I had written, "For the boy who loves monsters Merry Christmas 2007" He was 3. And he still loves monsters. He talks about monsters for hours everyday, weaving stories and defining their physical qualities, histories, and abilities. He acts them out gracefully, powerfully, with full immersion. It's a passion!

Well, at our local library I found the book Make Yourself a Monster: A Book of Creepy Crafts by Kathy Ross. Although published in 1999, it feels just like the kind of book I would have loved as a little girl. The illustrations are simple and quirky. And even though we aren't in Halloween prep mode yet, I knew this book would be right up Bowie's alley. So here I share a moment of him making the "Giant Reptile" I did the cutting and we did the stapling together (I need to find one that he can easily press down on his own) and he did the rest. I loved that when presented with our bag of red, yellow and blue tempera paint, he immediately said that we needed to mix blue and yellow. I just love it when all of a sudden I notice the things he's been learning. The finishing touch to the what we call "The Green Reptile" is a red party horn...a silly monster incorporates his other passion for hilarity.

No comments: