Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sometimes it's Hard Too

I am personally having a bit of a hard time. Bowie is teething his upper 2 year molars. And never napping. I sleep on his bed next to him and wake up to him whispering, playing and reading. It's sweet, I get to nap, but he sure needs to nap as well.

And he hurt his friend Friday. Bleeding and bruised on the head by a stick thrown in very close proximity. I cried and cried all night. I was so mad at him and so disappointed in myself for not raising a totally pacifist child and afraid of the future. And so upset with myself for being so shaken; I mean it is normal and natural.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Autumn! I think pacifism is a decision that an adult makes--kids have impulses, not isms, and part of growing up is learning what consequences your impulses have for yourself and others. I'm sure that Bowie's actions and the consequences to his friend have left their pertinent information in his brain for next time! Think how proud you will be when you see the fruits of this episode realized--there WILL come a time in the future when he will know that doing something could hurt his friend and he will decide not to. He's just moving along the path. Love, Erin

Autumn said...

You are so right and beautifully put Erin. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this helps to know, but you aren't alone. My little guy has been pinching my face lately. I'm trying hard not to blame myself but rather, just view it as a toddler phase.

Still, it is painful to see my formerly angelic boy turn into such a little terror, even if I know it is temporary.