Saturday, March 24, 2007

Self Portrait at the Potty

Self Portrait at the Potty or There is a Potty in My Head

Please click on my photo to see it on flickr with notes on it...

I was so excited that I was with Bowie when he drew this. Not just in the house but right next to him because there is a chance I might not have grasped what he was creating, his first little self portrait. When I took my art education classes, early education classes we looked at loads of drawings like these. Somehow, there is a collective knowledge about drawing that leads the majority of children to go through this step. Bowie has never seen someone else draw this way. It is fascinating to me.

4 comments:

fuzzypeach said...

Very neat! I have been reading about that sort of thing - the steps and stages children go through in drawing - in the book Young at Art.

Autumn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Autumn said...

http://www.arts.ufl.edu/ART/rt_room/teach/young_in_art/sequence/pre-symbolism.html

fuzzy peach, your comment helped me find this online resourse. thanks!

MamaC said...

That is fascinating! I love this stage. It's so full of wonder.