Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Castle in the City




Oh, there are so many fun photos from Medieval Times. You may have seen it driving through Dallas on I-35. Didn't ever look like much to me. But as Bowie began to develop his interests in knights and weapons, I saw it differently. Magically. Bowie said, "There is a castle in the CITY!" His sweet grandma chose to make her grandson happy for her birthday...and we all had a weirdly wonderful time. Much people watching, beer drinking, shouting and shushing (Chris loved to shout "BOO!!!!!" at the other knights, especially the red knight who I found especially charming), eating with hands (no forks or spoons), flag waving, giggling...





My mother-in-law's favorite moment was when they announced the birthdays, "Sean is 8 years old. Alma is celebrating an undisclosed birthday. And Karen is 62 years old!" When my hubbie set up the birthday greeting he showed that he doesn't really understand some things about women...we whooped and hollered! And again I announce it here, heee heeee. Hey, age is something to be proud of, right?!



The costume...I bought it after Halloween at 75% off from Garnet Hill. Isn't it amazing? I kept it a secret until the right time, and this was most definitely the right place and time. The cape was a favorite gift from Grandma Karen. Everyone was watching Bowie as he walked into the hall. The other kids pointed him out, people smiled and stopped to talk to him. I was expecting him to want to get out of it, but 3 hours into it he was still dressed top to bottom.


Something I love about the way I've changed my life in the past couple of years is that I can see joy and beauty in a place that I previously would have wanted to avoid. I can see it for the amazing spectacle that Bowie sees, and that is so good. This has affected my life in a very profound way, opening my life up to happiness in almost any circumstance. This was an easy one!

No comments: