Sunday, May 21, 2006

One week

It's challenging lately. But equally as rewarding. Bowie is cracking himself up with real jokes ("Mama is an alligator. NO she's not."), spinning till too dizzy to stand, telling me "Mama's cute" (I'm pretty sure this isn't a joke because he doesn't giggle afterwards), singing singing singing, gosh does he ever love to make ANYTHING a microphone and sing. He'll be two soon. In one week.

I am overcome with nostalgia. This weekend a good friend was in labor with her second child. I thought about her so much, my mind was constantly imagining her strength and the joy of birth, no matter how hard it is, the difficulties are dwarfed by the joy. Of course I couldn't help remembering our birth story. The images and emotions connected to those memories are very strong. It was so long ago and just yesterday. I can recall it all but I am beginning to forget.

Great weekend for us. Got loads of yardwork done. Fun projects like putting up a swing embellished with windchimes, erecting Bowie's birthday gift (a family sized tee pee), building the toddler-sized white trash above the ground pool. Bowie spent some fun time with Nonnie and Gramps while Chris and I worked (Chris digging and me shopping but never fo rmyslef, for the birthday party). And we went to a sweet party for a friend's 2nd birthday. It's so fun having playmates. Watching the interactions and listening in on the conversations (yes, he has some verison of a conversation) is so interesting!

I miss what he was. I revel in what he is now. I daydream about what will be...all that is possible for him. (And in all honesty, I have brief moments of fear and sadness about the future. But I'd be loony if I didn't right?)

1 comment:

R said...

I can't wait to see the teepee. What a wonderful idea for a birthday present. We want a yurt or teepee to camp in. They look so fantastic as well as being really cosy. And for a child it has to be one of the greatest gifts ever!
I love all your musings lately about Bowie's upcoming birthday. Birthdays always make me nostalgic too. And it gets harder to remember those early days. Your photos will help though..photos can bring back wonderful memories. Bowie is so lucky to have such a beautifully documented childhood.

Raquel x