Thursday, February 07, 2008

Safe Hand Positioning


Correct Hand Positioning
Originally uploaded by autumn fawn
Today I posted this photo of Bowie cutting up apples for applesauce on flickr. Someone wrote me asking about unschooling and it was a chance to spend sometime being reflective about it. Here are some of the things I wrote in response to her interest:

"I was a teacher, toddlers to 3rd grade, public school and private Montessori. So I am in process with that (unschooling myself), as you can imagine. But one of the most amazing things is that this unschooling approach actually feels the closest to the things in my education that really excited me: the journals, the child portfolios, the book clubs, all the stuff we studied called “authentic” learning through authentic tasks. I was on fire with passion for all of that. By having so much time to live life together, we are doing all of these authentic tasks driven by authentic interest . I don’t often come to Bowie in the morning with the tasks in mine. Leaving our days open allows us to really dig deep into whatever our interests are (for instance making the grocery list together, discovering that Bowie wants to make applesauce, looking up the recipe to add ingredients to our list, going grocery shopping, cooking it, enjoying it, photographing it, reliving it through the pictures and telling people about the experience, etc.)

This quote really captures what feels so right about it to me:

...if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience." -- Anne Sullivan

Well there I go on and on…but I imagine that you get the idea that I love it for our family."

And this:

"And I totally relate to your desire to make childhood magical. What I never imagined was how magical it would make all of our lives. It allows me to learn and meet my needs as well. Now don't imagine that we don't have our hard moments, even hard days. We ARE living life here!"

I am in such an early stage of unschooling. There are many areas in which I have yet to give myself over to the flow. But I accept it joyfully in the places that it natural fills and I give attention to areas that are damned up as I begin to trust my need for it there. I am filled with the anticipation for our future and so utterly in the joy of each day in a way that I have never been.

5 comments:

Elle said...

I love reading things like this..unschooling is a completely foreign notion to me..i have no children and i guess when i was at school the idea of home schooling or unschooling wasnt even an option. Here in the uk i think this approach is still very new & different but i find it fascinating. I'd love to learn more..is there any books you'd recommend?

Elle x

Autumn said...

elle, i have an online friend in the uk "unschooling" though they call it autonomous learning, i think. here is a chapter written for an online writing community by her 13 yr old daughter:
http://www.thegreenstory.co.uk/tread.asp?e=39

and a brilliant little video she made with her 3 yr old sister on her phone:
http://raquel67.blogspot.com/

i would suggest anything by john holt as a start:
http://www.holtgws.com/learningalltheti.html

and this is an excellent little article on an excellent site full of resources:
http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/unschooling.html

elle, i think you will find it fascinating and challenging.

R said...

Hi Elle,
I'm Autumn's friend in the UK :)
There are quite a few of us unschooling. They estimate that there are 50,000 (nobody knows how many) home educated children in the UK and many of us follow an autonomous approach.
I have a blog here:
http://aeuk.blogspot.com/
If you go through all the older posts you will find plenty to read :)
Hi Autumn :)

Elle said...

Autumn & Raquel

Thanks so much for all the links & info..im really looking forward to having a good read through it all. I would never of guessed so many people in the uk were home schooling. I'd love to learn as much as i can an in the future put it into practice with my own children.
Thanks again

Elle x

Anonymous said...

beautifully put, autumn!