Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sharing Passions II



When I met Bowie's papa he was drumming in 2 bands, had his drumset in his living room, practiced almost everyday, played at least a show a week. When I began feeling the need to have a baby in our family, he asked me to wait a couple of years. He said that he wasn't ready to be the papa he knew he would want to be. So I waited and was part of his rock and roll lifestyle, happily and willingly but tapping my fingers nonetheless. (We now smile upon the weary childless couples we see barely rising for their first meal at 2pm while we have been going full stop since 7am.) The time came when he was ready. And Bowie came. And shows got cut, and rehearsals dwindled down, and the band wanted to tour and...now Chris plays once a week with some other rock loving papas (and one single rock loving lady) and recently he splurged on an electric drumset so that he could practice at home (which in our new home is placed next to Bowie's own set). He has two headsets so that Bowie can listen in while he shows off. It is really impressive. I fill with more, more love for him as I see him do what he loves and then overflow as I see him sharing it with Bowie.

As with my photography, we aren't invested in him following us and our passions, but we are sure that him seeing us do what we love will lead him to do what he loves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow autumn, you and i sound alot alike. i wonder if i have known you before. you wrote, "So I waited and was part of his rock and roll lifestyle, happily and willingly but tapping my fingers nonetheless." that line. that really got me. sometimes i wonder why we (my husband and i) ended up in a different place after the little life was gifted to us. all part of the plan, or fate, or just the will of the universe.

anyway, i love that bowie is surrounded by so much true unwavering love, and falling back in love, and sharing of passions. these are wonderful life lessons you are teaching him everyday.

MamaC said...

That is so wonderful Autumn! I just have to tell you that your family continues to touch my life even though we are not as regularly in touch. Thank you.

Dawn said...

I know just exactly what you mean. I fall in love with David in all new ways watching him be a Papi and share the world with his daughter.

How great is it that you have the space now to set their drumsets up side by side! That rocks!