Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Sad about the World Changing

Today Bowie told me this. In a very weary voice he said, "I'm sad about it. I'm sad about the world changing." When I asked him what was changing that made him sad, he couldn't say anything but "the world changing". So I laid down beside him and talked about how the world had changed. About the fiery ball that Earth once was, and then the cooling, and the plants and animals, and the dinosaurs. He loves dinsosaurs. We read at least one dino book a day and he loves to talk about how they became extinct. He has said that he's sad about the dinosaurs before, so I thought this might be related.

And I talked about how change can be good too. I told him that he had changed the world when he was born. That he had changed me. And that I was glad.

I asked him if he was sad about changing, about getting bigger. He said yes. He has been reaching for comfort by touching my breasts the past few days. He doesn't ask or pretend to nurse, but it obviously still gives him comfort to be near me in this way. It's been a week since his last nap, and I think this need to reconnect to me in this way may be related.

I talked about some of the changes in the world that make me sad and others that make me happy. And later in the day he said, "I used to be sad about the world changing. Now I am sad and happy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a pretty remarkable conversation. Bowie seems so open and attentive. I feel the same way about the world changing, B!

fuzzypeach said...

How sweet and sad. He sounds like such a wise little boy.