Friday, August 04, 2006

Santa Monica Pier





We were just short drive from the Santa Monica pier. We went one evening when John and Peter were at a ballgame. It was quite a scene. Touristy, but also fishing going on all along the pier. I am kicking myself for not photographing the wooden slabs spaced out on the railing for people to cut their bait (fish and mussels and pocketknives). After a much anticipated ice cream treat (during which Chris realized that he can no longer just dump out Bowie's ice cream into a cup without asking first), we went on the ferris wheel. Bowie wasn't sure that he wanted to because there were people screaming all around us on the roller coaster and dragon boat, but Chris kept telling him that no one was screaming on the ferris wheel. We went around once then were asked to get off because it was being "finicky" but we could get back on in a minute. Bowie didn't want to and again I applaud his caution in such matters. He did seem to enjoy it though while we were up. It was all dark and the lights were truly spectacular.

The next day we went to the Santa Monica farmer's market and breathed a sigh of relief, NORMAL people. Our kind of people. It felt like home. And we met up with a photographer from flickr. She came with her adorable son and her sweet husband (she's afraid to make unprotect left turns she explained) and we headed back to the pier to take some photos. Saddly, my battery was low so I had to be very conservative in my shooting but it was a treat to meet her and take photos of Danny. She got some really cute photos of Bowie, as well. It is so cool to see him through another's lens.

The third photo shows Bowie and I under the pier. He was very sensitive and shy during our meetup. Chris carried him 90% of the time and here he is sitting with me with his hand on my knee. Oh how I love him and treasure his open affection for as long as it lasts.

1 comment:

R said...

oh wow, I just got homesick for a place that was only home for 5 years! I used to work on Santa Monica Pier and went to Santa Monica College. It seems like a dream it was so long ago. Your blog brought all the memories back. Thankyou x