Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Unprepared

I feel so unprepared for this. Today Bowie made it clear that he did not want to go to school. He woke crying this morning. When it was time to get ready, he made no excuses about being tired but cried and cried and said he did not want to go. He says that maybe he'll want to go tomorrow.

I told him that I wanted to go take care of myself, that I needed to go to the Y and exercise. I suggested that he go to the kid's room at the Y. "But I choose to stay home." I've been crying for the past few hours. It feels like he doesn't care about me. I feel hurt and angry about that. And I also feel stupidly oversensitive and with completely unrealistic expectations. I mean developmentally he's barely aware that the world is bigger than himself, right? I also feel like I must have messed up, am messing up, because most kids DO go to school.

And then the unschooling part of myself feels quite guilty that I would ask my child to go to school when he doesn't want to go. I called my husband to check to see if he too would have not pushed him into the car and he agreed. So I feel guilty about all the crying. Isn't that a kind of pressure put on him?

I have this twisted desire to do nothing fun this afternoon. I don't want it to be more fun to stay home. I feel sick to write that. Thank goodness I write to bring out these ugly truths. Somehow I can think that and sort of ignore how vile that sounds, but writing it makes it so clear. OF COURSE I want home to be fun. Of course I don't want to punish him for not wanting to go to school.

But I do want to go work out. I really do. I need it so bad. I've been waiting and waiting, telling myself that these times will be short, that I will have time to do for myself again. But I'm feeling at the end of my rope. How can I make it happen?

Will he want to go back to school again? How can I talk about it without pressuring him? How will he know if he likes it if he doesn't go? Maybe if I suggest that I go with him again, like the visits?

Yikes....this is surely the most raw and rambling entry I've made. Yes, I am a very real and flawed mama.

Update: I typed that on the laptop sitting on the toilet lid while Bowie played it the bath. I told him that I still needed to go exercise and that I was mad that he didn't make a choice so that I could take care of myself. He said, "Okay. I choose the Y." So, we're off! Clarity is so good for us all.

Update #2: Thank you Elle and Sara for your thoughts and love. I am thinking about how to get more of my unschooling mind into this problem and because I really do think that is the most creative and respectful way to find a solution. Identify the problem: it is NOT that Bowie didn't want to go to school. I am truly okay if he does not want to go. I don't believe that he needs to go. But I do believe that I need to work out and have a little scheduled time for myself. So there's where the creativity comes in. He happily said goodbye at the Y. I don't know why he was okay with that rather than school, but he was. While I was huffing along on the elliptical walker, I realized that I NEED this and that means that I need to make it happen more often, perhaps even daily. This needs to be part of my identity, my daily routine. And I need to find a solution that doesn't ask too much of Bowie to make it possible. He's still saying that he'll go to school tomorrow, even though tomorrow isn't a school day for him. But I hope to get back to the Y tomorrow...

5 comments:

BizBaby said...

I know u dont know me..but i love reading your blog,hearing about your life and seeing the beautiful pictures of Bowie..him through your eyes. I really feel for you with this..it must be so hard not knowing what direction to take..the unschooling part of you not wanting it but the rest of you feeling he should experience this important part of life for a child. I dont think you should feel guilty at all..we all need abit of time to ourselves,to do the things we need to do and its only natural to feel..well annoyed when our plans are put on the back burner. Im sure this is a little blip and Bowie will want to go back to school and at least give it a try. Keep your chin up..your doing a fantastic job! take care..Elle

Anonymous said...

Awww autumn ... My heart hurts for ya! I wish I had some inspired words of wisdom however, I have none. I know it is a difficult time. perhaps you might try inviting a couple of new friends from the school over for a playdate and then Bowie would have someone to look forward to see, someone that he got to know on his own "turf"
In all that you must know that it is ok to want to do for yourself again!
Peace and Blessings to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Hi Autumn,
I love your blog and your photos and your flickr stream and your parenting style : )
I am just writing to remind you... you are a normal mom ! Don't be too hard on yourself. All mothers have these conflicted guilty feelings. Fears we are messing the kids up. Fears they are alreay messed up. Guilt for not taking care of ourselves , guilt when we do take care of ourselves.. it is crazy! I also want to say thanks for sharing your thoughts. I feel more nomral when I read them : )
Take care. Karen Linnell
zbaby on flickr and my website is www.zazababyphotography.com
ps. I am a big Montessori fan (too lazy to look up the spelling, I know this is wrong) Do you get the Child of the World Catalog? I am sure you do. Isn't it great !

Unknown said...

I went through this very same thing when I put my 3 year old (at the time he was 2) in school. It was a very difficult transition, but all of the tears disappeared after about 2-3 weeks. I was shocked at how long it took, but from what I heard from other mommies, totally normal. Hang in there. Stay positive for Bowie. It's just a new routine for him. He'll find his way soon. {hugs} because I know it's just as hard on you...

R said...

Autumn..have you read any Jan Fortune-Wood? Go google her. Make it a win-win situation. Bowie shouldn't have to go to school if he doesn't want to. And you don't need to miss out on your workout. It's all about coming up with good solutions for everyone, then no-one need feel guilty.Jan is a lovely lady and although I don't live completely autonomously with my children, I found reading her work helped me step back and realise that life didn't have to be a battle. I got alot more creative with my parenting.
To be honest I think asking Bowie if he cares about you is a bit manipulative. He is so young and only knows what he wants. I hope you don't find that too critical but I think it's very important to realise that our children are not little adults. He probably didn't give you a second thought. Thats how 3 year olds are! He only knows what he needs and it's great and a credit to you that he feels he can freely express it. Don't beat yourself up. You are a great mum and all these questions you ask just make you even better! xxx